Lyrics to “The Oogum Boogum Song”* or fashions at a summer music festival?
1. Your high-heeled boots with your hip-hugger suit
2. That cute miniskirt with your brother’s sloppy shirt
3. Nose ring, dreads, British barrister wig on your head
4. Your pink cowboy hat, mini-romper, fanny pack
5. Your bell-bottom pants (I just stand there in a trance)
6. Those big earrings, long hair and things
7. Your cute tank top, sideboob about to pop
8. Your gladiator shoes with your Batgirl Underoos
9. That macrame dress (girl, you’re such a hot mess)
10. That cute trench coat and you’re standin’ and posin’ (you got soul, you got too much soul)
11. Floaty scarves all around —that’s it, just a bunch of scarves?
12. That Fedora from Kohl’s (girl, you’re so rock and roll)
13. Your red union suit with your KISS army boots
14. Your hair like Haim, stripey cardigan like Mayim
15. Your cute flower crown and your see-through hippie gown (get out the way, for Miss del Ray)
16. Not Your Daughter’s Jeans and an E Street Band tee —Mom???
*A 1967 Billboard Top 40 hit single written and recorded by R&B/soul singer Brenton Wood (real name: Alfred Smith). It was resurrected in 2014 for a Kia K900 commercial featuring LeBron James.
(Answer key: 1,2,5,6,10 – lyrics)
©Joyce Millman, The Mix Tape, 2015