1. I’m thankful that the good guys won.
2. I’m thankful for Nate Silver and the triumph of science, statistical probability and facts over ignorance, “unskewed” bullshit and wishful thinking.
3. I’m thankful for Bruce Springsteen because . . . just a sec while I get out my list. OK. Put out his best album of the 2000’s? Done. Tour like there’s no tomorrow, because when you’re 63, there might not be? Done. Play some of the most joyous and meaningful (not to mention, some of the longest) concerts of his career? Done. Indelibly associate “Land of Hope and Dreams” with the 2012 MLB postseason; reclaim it on the Obama campaign trail as a vision of all-inclusive America and make everyone forget baseball? Done and done. Make Gov. Chris Christie cry like a little fangirl? Done. Re-elect the President? Done. Be a goofball on national tellyvision? See below.
4. I’m thankful for Buster and Marco and Zito. For the Panda, the Horse, the White Shark and the Baby Giraffe. For Angel in the outfield and Timmy in the bullpen. For the rally enchiladas and the sunflower seed showers. For Sergio Romo, who just looks illegal. The Giants won the World Series, again. Just typing those words takes my breath away. Is it spring yet?
5. I’m thankful that the grown-ups couldn’t keep Suzy and Sam apart.
6. I’m thankful that more Americans now understand that using their religious beliefs to deny gay and lesbian Americans the legal right to marry is neither legal nor moral.
7. I’m thankful for Claire Danes, cry face and all. And “Mad Men,” still. Louis C.K., and “Louie”, and Louis C.K. parodying “Louie” as Abraham Lincoln on “Saturday Night Live”. A Song of Ice and Fire . The Dowager Countess. The many moods of Elvis Costello. Tina Fey. Sporcle. Sushi. Oh, and “Portlandia,” especially the skit with the imaginary Sacagawea. It never gets old.
8. I’m thankful for this song, and the way it still makes me bounce around like a dork:
9. I’m thankful for my men, who make me laugh. And for family. And for friends, old and new, flesh and cyber. And for readers of this blog. Believe it or not, I’m writing as fast as I can.
10. I’m thankful that I didn’t give birth to Justin Bieber.
© Joyce Millman, The Mix Tape, 2012