Thank you for your interest in publishing on Fanfiction Phantasia, the web’s Number One (-ish) fanfic site! You’ve probably found us by following the link from that recent Entertainment Weekly feature on shippers (“TV’s weirdest fans”). We’re so excited to have been mentioned in the story, although, to be honest, we’ve been wondering when they were going to publish it. Has it really been 12 years since that reporter came by to interview us? Well, better late than never!
Anyway, welcome. We think you’ll find that writing fan fiction is a great way for aspiring authors to practice story craft. And if you’re a published author looking for a place to pseudonymously experiment with genre fiction and Battlestar Galactica slash, rest assured that your secret is safe with us!
Fanfic has been going strong online since the late ’90s. In fact, there’s a good chance your mom used to ship Buffy and Spike while you were out at soccer practice. But thanks to the EW article, fan fiction has suddenly become more popular than ever. Unfortunately, the increased site traffic has overwhelmed our servers. As a result, we are temporarily halting our “we publish everything” policy in a few of the most heavily-visited categories.
We have no room at this time for new Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones fanfic. We will consider anything else involving elves and/or imps on a case-by-case basis. The same goes for pixies, nymphs, shapeshifters, dark magicians, talking trees and werewolves. (As of this writing, fairies are OK.)
If you are inquiring about Twilight … aren’t you a little late?
A special announcement for Hunger Games shippers: Our Katniss/Haymitch section is at capacity. Have you thought about Effie Trinket/President Snow?
We are so over Snape/Lily. Seriously, don’t even ask.
On a related note, our adults-only Harry Potter sub-site, “Engorgo,” is no longer accepting Snarry, Drarry, Larry or Dumbledarry.
While we’re on the subject of slash, a word of clarification to new authors: “Slash” fiction refers to same-sex pairings, designated by the shorthand M/M or F/F. It does NOT refer to fan fiction about rock guitarist Slash. We cannot publish Slash fiction, due to a pending libel suit. Axl Rose fiction is fine, though.
Some other terms you should know:
- Canon: What happened in the official version (i.e., Voldemort is vanquished and they all live happily ever after).
- Fanon: What isn’t strictly canon, but doesn’t contradict canon enough to upset fans who are really anal about canon (i.e., Voldemort and Bellatrix must have gotten it on at some point).
- AU (alternate universe): The stuff that only happens in your head (i.e., Voldemort doesn’t turn grotesque when he splits his soul, but instead, he gets super-handsome, which means Ralph Fiennes gets to keep his nose, and then you’re all, like, “OMG, I cant believe I am so crushing on He Who Must Not Be Named, what is wrong with me?”).
- Crossover, or Xover: Blending characters from two different fictional universes (i.e., Buffy gets sorted into Gryffindor).
- Beta (beta reader): A person who reads a fanfic before publication and offers feedback and advice, often of a confusing and passive-aggressive nature (i.e., an editor).
- PWP (Porn Without Plot): Not as much fun as it sounds.
- Lemon: Graphic sexual detail. (Note: Our 30 Rock fic writers use the designation “Lime” to avoid confusion.)
- MPreg: Male pregnancy, duh.
- Hurt/Comfort (H/C): Stories where characters are traumatized so they can then be cuddled by another character. We at Fanfiction Phantasia make it a policy not to judge. But, really?
- Mary Sue: A beautiful heroine, usually an idealized version of the author and/or reader, whom the author inserts into a story even though she doesn’t belong there and is, frankly, ridiculous (i.e., “Mrs. Severus Snape,” “Faith Brooks, the beautiful young psychology student who is finally able to tame Dr. House’s demons,” Bella Swan).
For privacy as well as personal safety, we require authors to publish under a pen name. If you have questions about this policy, please contact our webmistress, nightmoonravenbitch73.
We are excited to announce “Boomer Beach,” a new section of Fanfiction Phantasia geared to the Internet’s fastest-growing user group: age 50+! We are currently accepting fanfic for the generation that invented pop culture and teen idols, but, until recently (Entertainment Weekly), had no idea that it was perfectly OK to think about Kirk and Spock in “that way”. Newly retired, Boomers now have the time to devote to writing and reading fanfic about the TV characters who shaped a lifetime of fantasies. Some of the categories you’ll find in “Boomer Beach” (all currently accepting new stories) are:
Batman (1960’s live action version)
The Monkees/Batman slash
The Prisoner/I Dream of Jeannie crossover
Little House on the Prairie (NC-17 only, please)
Murder, She Wrote
Cagney and Lacey (F/F)
… and many more.
We hope we’ll be seeing you in our family of fic writers soon! Don’t know where to start? Here are some fresh ideas guaranteed to make you stand out in the crowd.
Instead of Kirk/Spock, how about … Kenan/Kel?
Instead of Snarry, how about … Snobby?
Instead of Fringe, how about … Bill Nye the Science Guy?
Remember, anyone can write a bestselling novel. But not just anyone can imagine Harry Potter giving birth to Ron Weasley’s baby in the Tardis. That is your gift. Share it.
© Joyce Millman, The Mix Tape, 2012